Do you consider touring the White House or any beautiful destination in the United States? Then, you must take a step and apply for a USA visa to see your dream come true. We are proud to provide you with detailed information on how you can easily apply for a USA visa in Kenya.
Before you can apply for a US visa, you need the basic travel document – the immigration passport. If you want to apply for an immigration passport, you can visit the nearest immigration office in your city or visit their website for more information.
Generally, a citizen of Kenya who wants to visit the United States must first obtain a visa. There are two categories of USA visas, immigrant and non-immigrant visas. Immigrant visas are issued to people from other countries who intend to live permanently in the USA. Non-immigrant visas are issued for people who wish to visit the United States temporarily. There are different types of Non-immigration USA visas:
- Work Visa: Kenyans who have been offered employment from a US employer to live and work in the United States.
- Student Visa: A student visa (F1 Visa) is offered to international students who want to study full-time at any accredited academic institution in the United States.
- Family Visa: The family visa is granted to US Citizens who want to sponsor their families – spouses, children, wives, siblings or parents to join them in the US.
- Tourist or Business Visa: This type of visa (known as B1 and B2 visa) is granted to those who need a short travel entry permit for business (B2 visa), tourism or visitation (B1 visa).
- An immigration passport, which must be valid for 6 months after the intended stay.
- A passport photograph (2” x 2”). See photograph requirements.
- A US visa application form. ( The US Embassy does not accept handwritten application forms)
- Proof of payment of Application fee. You can make payment at Postbank or through Mpesa. If you make your payment through Mpesa, you will need to provide nine (9) digits provided via SMS to confirm the transaction. ( Application fee is not refundable)
- Proof of financial status – your original bank statement from a commercial bank recognized by the Central Bank of Kenya.
- Applicants may be asked to provide other documents substantiating their travel purpose.
Additional Documents for Student Visa:
- SEVIS I-901 fee must be paid to the Department of Homeland Security for the individual program. ( You can pay this fee via western union or mail) Payment must reflect on the Embassy’s computer system.
- If someone is sponsoring your studies, the financial proof is required from your sponsors.
- You should apply for your visa in advance. The application should be made no earlier than 4 months prior to your school resumption date.
- A valid I-20 or DS-2019 form must indicate that the student has paid the unsubsidized cost of the education.
How to Apply for USA Visa
All applicants are required to book an interview appointment on the U.S. Visa Service website.
- Start your application process by completing the visa application form DS-160.
- Create an account on the website and fill out all your travel information.
- Print out a deposit slip found in your account. You will use the slip to pay the visa application fee via mpesa or Postbank.
- Once you have paid the application fee, enter the receipt number in your account on the Visa Service website.
- Then, you will be taken to the calendar, where you can select your preferred appointment date.
Interview appointments are given on a first-come, first-served basis and the Embassy conducts interviews Monday through Thursday morning. Applicants without all the required documentation will not be interviewed.
US Visa application processing is resolved within 2 – 3 calendar days after your interview. Your visa will be ready for pick-up or will be delivered by courier. For cases where administrative processing is required, it may take about 60 days for your application processing to be resolved.
Please visit the US Embassy in Kenya or visit their website for detailed visa information.
ALSO, READ – How to Deposit Money to Paypal account via Mpesa
United State Embassy Office Address
United Nations Avenue Nairobi
P. O. Box 606 Village Market
00621 Nairobi, Kenya
If you have any questions about how to apply for a USA visa, please let us know in the comment box below.