Smart Digital Driving License: The National Transport and Safety Authority (NTSA) began revealing the new age keen driving licenses in April 2018. The new NTSA keen advanced driving licenses look practically like the National ID and contain individual information including your Blood Group.
The advanced permit will have a protected PC chip containing the driver’s data, which might be lucid through uncommon electronic contraptions that are possessed and will be overseen by NTSA authorities.
A key element of the card is the focus framework that sees focuses deducted for each traffic offense submitted. The innovation will empower great driving propensities and lessen the expense of engine vehicle protection.
Smart Digital Driving License: Registering on TIMS
Follow the following steps on how to register on TIMS to create an account on the Transport Information Management System (TIMS) website by the National Transport and Safety Authority (NTSA):
- Open your browser and direct it to tims.ntsa.go.ke
- On this page you will be presented with three options:
If you are visiting the NTSA portal for the first time? Here’s how to register on TIMS
- Click on the Register an Account link will direct you to the eRegister An Account page. It is from this page that Individuals, Dealers, Agents, Financial Institutions and Companies register on the platform.
- Click on the Individuals option.
- You will be prompted to input your ID Serial No. Be careful not to input your ID Number as what is required is the Serial Number. If you have replaced your ID within the last two years you will have to use your old ID Card’s serial number. (In case the system rejects any of your details you are advised to visit NTSA offices)
- Add your KRA PIN Number.
- Add your Mother’s Maiden Name.
- Add your Occupation and Phone Number.
- Request a verification code by clicking on the button next to the phone number.
- Input the code you receive on your phone in the verification tab to complete the verification process.
- You are now registered on the TIMS platform.
- Head back to the home page tims.ntsa.go.ke and Sign In.
- Once you have changed your password, click on the “driving license” menu and select “Apply for smart DL”.
- You will be charged KES 3,050 and once you have completed the payment and it is processed, you will book an appointment with the NTSA
- At the NTSA offices, your details will be confirmed, a passport photo of you and your fingerprints be captured
- After you have registered, your digital driving license will be ready for collection in 5 working days. (But this is taking longer due to the huge backlog they have.)
Procedure for getting a new smart digital driving license
1. Go to NTSA HQ
To avoid yourselves from going through any long queues you must reach the Upper Hill (NTSA HQ) before 8:30 am.
You will start on the ground floor where they will provide you with the date. After taking the slip from them you need to give the same slip at the information desk.
2. Confirm Personal Details
Log in to the NTSA TIMS account with an NTSA agent so that they can confirm your details that even includes your blood type information.
3. Make Payment
The payment of Ksh. 3,050 for the new smart Kenyan driving license via M-Pesa needs to be made.
4. Biometrics and Signature:
You will be required to take a digital picture, and biometrics and digital signature are also taken by them.
5. Printed License:
Your license will be then printed.
6. License Validation:
The last step is validating your license and then you are all free.
Features to look out for in the new Smart Digital Driving License
1. Your Car ownership details, your number plate, and driver’s license will be integrated.
Your car ownership details such as your car’s number plate, your logbook details among others will be integrated, and it will be possible for authorities and interested parties to access these details for various purposes.
2. If you are fined for a traffic offense, the new driving license will make it possible for you to pay up the fines through it, since the card will come bundled with an electronic wallet.
When a court finds you guilty, or when you do not contest a charge imposed on you by a traffic officer, the fine will be charged to your “NTSA Account” linked to your new NTSA driving license.
It will make it easy for you to pay the instant fines whenever they are imposed on you.
3. Your driving record will be available to employers.
One other feature of the NTSA new driving license is that it will enable potential employers to access your driving records.
This record may play a significant role in the decision to hire you, especially where your driving ability is important to the job.
Depending on how well employers embrace this system, it may also be used as one of the elements included in the background checks needed before you get employed.
Creative employers may use it in the same way that some are known to use social media profiles to get a sense of a candidate.
A candidate with multiple bookings and warnings on their driving license is a sure sign of future trouble.
4. Your driving record will be available to insurers
The new generation driving license will have the capacity to store your driving information, and as such, your driving history will be available to insurers.
It is expected that your driving profile will play a role in the determination of the premiums a driver should pay.
In this case, good drivers will be more attractive to car insurance companies and as such, they will enjoy lower premiums. If you have not lost points, have not been caught committing traffic offenses, then you will be an attractive customer to insurers, who will offer you lower premiums.
The key challenge that insurers may face is knowing how to associate each car with its driver. Car insurance Kenya policy is issued for a car and not its driver.
So policy benefits may be issued to a person who owns the car but does not drive it.
5. The cumulative point system will be used to reward or punish you are a driver
Your new driving license will have a cumulative point system that will be used to reward or punish drivers based on their behavior on the road.
Various offenses will have different levels of penalties. In this regard, if you disobey traffic rules, points will be deducted from your card, and if they hit a certain lower threshold, you will be legally barred from driving until the points are renewed again, after a set period.
In the same way, if you are a good driver, you will be rewarded by the accumulation of points. These points will be useful to insurers and employers alike to assess your premiums and to assess your suitability for employment, respectively.
Note: If your current driving license does not expire for another three years, you will wait for a while before the NTSA gets to you to upgrade your license.
The NTSA will be focusing on those who need to renew their expired licenses so that those with some time left on their current licenses are not disadvantaged financially since they have paid for three years.
Therefore, if you took a license for a long period, then you may wait till its expiry to get the new generation license.
Note: Everyone should have received their new license by January 2021.
National Transport and Safety Authority
Hill Park Building; Upper Hill
P.O Box 3602 -00506, Nairobi
Safaricom: 0709 932 000
Telkom: 020 6632 000
Report corruption here:
NTSA county offices and physical addresses
1. NTSA Thika
Deputy County Commissioners Offices, Opposite Barclays Bank, Next to Kiambu Lands office
2. NTSA Nyeri
Regional Commissioners complex Nyeri, block C, third floor, Opposite the Nyeri Law Courts.
3. NTSA Meru
Angaine Plaza 2nd floor
4. NTSA Embu
Mugo House, Ground Floor
5. NTSA Nakuru
Motor Vehicle Inspection Centre along Nakuru Ravine Road near Show Ground junction
6. NTSA Eldoret
Motor Vehicle Inspection Centre along Police Line Road
7. NTSA Kericho
Kericho County Commissioner’s compound, NTSA MVI Centre
8. NTSA Kakamega
Posta, KRA offices
9. NTSA Kisii
Umoja Plaza, KRA Building
10. NTSA Kisumu
Swan Centre, 1st floor
11. NTSA Machakos
Machakos inspection center, along people’s park road.
12. NTSA Voi
Porters House, KRA Offices 1st Floor
13. NTSA Mombasa
IMAARA Building, 1st Floor, on Dedan Kimathi Avenue opposite Pandya Memorial Hospital
14. NTSA Garissa
KRA Offices, 1st Floor