Here is a list of uber Kenya vehicle requirements by uber Kenya. Uber car requirements may seem a little bit tough if you’re new to cars and taxi business. But if you’re are a pro, joining Uber may not be that hard as you think.
Uber Kenya requires that its drivers, as well as cars, meet a certain threshold before they become partners and start doing the taxi business. If you want to be a driver, check out our previous post on how to join Uber as a driver.
Now, back to our subject, What are the minimum requirements your car needs to have before starting a taxi business in Kenya? Here are the requirements.
Uber Kenya Vehicle Requirements
For vehicles accepted by uber Kenya, the car must meet the following minimum requirements.
- First of all, you must have a motor registration certificate for your vehicle.
- Next, your car should have a clean PSV motor insurance premium.
- Your vehicle shouldn’t be too old. (If your car model year is 2006 or newer, Uber will have to inspect it for driving condition and quality before approval).
- The car should be in good condition with no cosmetic damage an free of commercial branding.
- Only 4-door cars or minivans are accepted. No hatchbacks.
- Your car should pass a vehicle inspection by NTSA with flying colors.
In addition to the above, the following documents are required for car registration with Uber Kenya.
- An original PSV car insurance certificate.
- Copy of logbook
- An operating card and lastly
- The vehicle inspection report.
Vehicles accepted by Uber Kenya
Uber Kenya offers three categories of rides depending on the budget comfort/luxury and urgency of its clients. These categories are; Uber Chapchap, UberSelect, and UberX. For each group, certain types of vehicles are accepted.
The CHAPCHAP model is the latest addition to the list of uber rides. CHAP CHAP is a partnership between Uber Kenya and CMC Motor Holding who import mini Suzuki Altos, a low-cost service vehicle that is fuel-efficient, fast and budget-friendly to its customers.
At first, drivers with high ratings, between 4-6 points, ware the only individuals who qualified to drive the Uber CHAPCHAP under a loan undersigned by Stanbic bank at the cost of Sh 835,000.
This means that the driver has to pay a minimum of Ksh 30,000 per month, after which, he/she will gain full ownership of the car when the loan is repaid in full. However, with small vehicles entering the market, 2017 models vehicles are also accepted.
ALSO READ: Uber offices in Kenya and their contacts
This is a low-cost ride with a little bit of a touch of luxury. The vehicle that is accepted in the category include:
- Subaru Forester.
- Nissan – Lafesta, Wingroad, and Bluebird.
- Mitsubishi Lancer
- Toyota Kenya has the most cars in this category which include: Corolla Axio, Fielder, Toyota Prius, Sienna, Toyota Voxy, Noah, Allion, Toyota Premio, Wish, Corona Premio, Corolla and last but not least, Toyota isis and lastly, Toyota 4Runner.
Uber Select Requirements
- The car model year should be 2008 or newer.
- No salvaged or rebuilt vehicles.
- They should have at least four seats
- No taxicabs, government cars, or other marked vehicles are allowed.
Uber cars requirements – UberX
UberX accepts all-new cars and has the same condition as those for UberSelect apart from car model year, which should be 2006 or newer.
Vehicle Requirements for Uber X
- 4-door sedan in good condition
- Seats at least four passengers in addition to the driver
- Working windows and air conditioning
- No full-sized vans or trucks vehicles
- No salvaged or rebuilt vehicles
- Selected cars models year 2006 or newer qualify to drive with uberX
List of popular cars used by UberX
- Suzuki Swift
- Mazda Demio
- Nissan Note
- Mitsubishi Colt
- Honda Fit
- Daihatsu Mira
- Nissan Insight
Toyota cars include;
- Toyota Vitz 1000 and 1300cc
- Belta 1000 and 1300cc
KNOW THIS: Currently, Uber Kenya accepts all types of vehicles but highly recommends low cost, fuel-efficient cars, which also include Toyota Vitz or 800 -1200cc car models.
Uber Kenya vehicle requirements, cars accepted by uber Kenya, vehicles eligible for uber Kenya,