Long before he came to Citizen Tv, Rashid Abdalla was a presenter at NTV. He was that sharp handsome man that ladies kept asking “is Rashid Abdalla married?” Too bad, you know, he is not only married but, now, stands beside his wife presenting the 7 pm news on citizen TV: Wikendi Nipashe.
Rashid Abdalla’s mastery of Swahili language and how he delivers the 7 PM news rightfully elevates Rashid Abdalla to the pedestal of the best Swahili news anchors in Kenya. Mining information on the news anchor is no walk in the park. The blogosphere is awash with every little gossip about Abdalla’s wife, Lulu Hassan, who is also a Swahili news anchor at Citizen TV.
Abdalla is rather open about his wife’s virtues; a proud man who married a virgin. Abdalla has joined Citizen TV where he will be paired with Lulu Hassan after the exit of her long-time co-news anchor Kanze Dena. Here is a peak on his career and how much he will be earning at Citizen TV.
Rashid Abdalla Wife and Children
Rashid is the husband of Lulu Hassan. The date of their wedding was announced though the couple accepted that the two were couples. The couple is one of the rarest couples as they are also presenters of news at the Royal Media Services at the same time. Rashid and Lulu have been blessed with three children, two sons, and a daughter.
He joined Radio Salaam in 2006. That is where he met Lulu and fell head over heels in love with her. Rashid was then moved to QTV and later NTV. He worked with NTV for years before finally moving to Citizen TV where he now co-anchors with his wife.
He became the face of the Swahili news station owned by the Nation Media Group (NMG), an experiment that backfired forcing the management to shut down the loss-making QTV station. The Aga Khan owned media house also closed Nation FM and Rwanda (KFM). Jobs were lost save for Rashid Abdalla who survived by being absorbed in NTV-which would be their single multi-lingual station after shutting down QTV. A statement at the time read: “Regrettably this will result in a reduction of our workforce through job redundancies” …….”We will strive to provide all the necessary support to help them manage through this transition,” part of the statement read.
The father of two gave a good account of himself at NTV. Former Trend host, Larry Madowo, would have Rashid Abdalla interview guests in the popular show whenever he wasn’t around. His transition to NTV from QTV was almost seamless.
The move to Citizen TV came as a surprise to many. Rashid, who joins his wife to read the 7 PM news, was enticed by a fat salary.
Salary at Citizen TV
He doesn’t fall into the category of the best-paid news anchors in Kenya. His salary was pegged at NTV kes280,000 at NTV. Rashid Abdalla’s pay has gone up by at least kes100,000 to stand kes380,000 after his move to Citizen TV.
Rashid Abdalla And Sheila Mwanyigha
In 2013, Sheila confessed that she is deeply in love with Rashid Abdalla (new husband of Lulu Hassan). According to her interviews, Sheila was so in love with Rashid, the idea that they can part has plunged her into horror. Sheila Mwanyigha’s husband was supposed to be Abdalla because he was her first love, their relationships were passionate and tender.
CHECK OUT: Babu Owino Biography, Age, Politics, Scandals, Family, Facts
Sweet Facts About Rashid Abdalla and Lulu Hassan
“Awwh” is what escapes our mouths when we see a beautiful couple. We all love good love stories, but what we love most is seeing a couple presenting news together. Things are changing, huh? Gone are the days when couples were forbidden from working in the same department.
A shift has happened, and guess where? The media industry itself. Who thought that a man and his wife could work in the same department, let alone anchor the 7.00 pm news? Rashid Abdallah and Lulu Hassan have definitely broken that record. Lovely, right? Well, there is just so much we need to know about these two, and we have all the information.
1. The two met at work
While others wait for their prince charming to walk out of the palace and into the woods to find the sleeping beauty, these two knew there was no palace anywhere near them. Their palace and their woods were their working place. Lulu was working at Radio Salaam, Rashid heard the voice and he could not contain himself. He needed to meet her. And, meet her, he did. This was just shortly after her mother died, and ever since meeting her, he has been her shoulder and her support system.
2. They got engaged after only two weeks of meeting each other
Come to think of it, how do some people date for years and then still end up marrying someone else? Well, our dear power couple was wise enough to see beyond the shenanigans and as soon as they set eyes on each other, they knew they were two peas of the same pod. They took the risk to be engaged after two weeks of meeting each other, and, as far as we can tell, no regrets.
3. Lulu Hassan husband, Rashid, had no money for their dowry
Go for dowry negotiations today and you will be asked for almost half a million shillings, plus animals and gifts for the whole clan. It wasn’t so for Rashid Abdallah. Now, it is another thing to engage a lady after only two weeks of the meeting and it is another thing to engage her without any dowry preparations. Who does that? Rashid Abdallah. He used to earn Ksh, 5,000 per month then, how could he afford half a million? He only submitted a Quran and a prayer mat for Lulu’s dowry, and the parents accepted. That was a lucky strike. If only people would learn from that.
4. They have been together for over 11 years
These two have been together for over 11 years now. After engaging after two weeks of meeting, marrying with a dowry of a Quran and a prayer mat, and all that women of today see as a joke, they have held each other’s hand for 11 good years and they are still going strong. Interestingly enough, they lived together after the engagement, but no, they did not taste the fruit even once until their wedding night in 2013. That was a lot of discipline for sure. It is a beautiful love story, a book they are still writing.
5. Rashid Abdallah and Lulu Hassan wedding was a big event
When you are as likable as Lulu Hassan, you don’t ever get to have a small wedding or do you. Lulu had a big wedding. Her neighbors, friends, acquaintances and even strangers turned out. It was almost like the whole neighborhood came to witness that wedding. Since her mother had passed away and could not give her away as is customary, her friends stepped in and took on the task. If you see Lulu Hassan’s wedding photos, she was happy, so happy to have made it happen.
Below are 10 facts you didn’t know about the powerful couple
- The wife was born as Lulu Khadija Hassan in a family of three from Mombasa County.
- Lulu’s mother passed away in 2007, being the firstborn she stepped up and had to take care of her siblings together with managing the family business.
- She was born to a mother with Seychelles and Kikuyu roots contrary to the thought that she was a Somali
- The two met in Mombasa at Radio Salaam. Lulu was working as an English news presenter while Rashid at Q FM, Rashid had gone to Radio Salaam to see the ‘lady’ with melowy voice. They became friends and got engaged within 14 days
- Lulu also trained as a cabin crew (hostesses) before she trained as a journalist. She landed a job at KTN after she was tipped that there was a crisis following the departure of two pregnant anchors
- When the two met in 2007, they took the biggest risk ever of getting engaged after only two weeks of friendzone. A wedding followed later
- When they met, Rashid was earning a salary of Ksh.5000. Due to this fact, he could only afford a prayer mat and the Quran as a dowry price for Lulu Hassan
- The couple has a beautiful simple home-based in Kwale County. Coastal Kenya.
- Rashid Abdalla confirmed that his wife was a virgin when the two married, he even added that he had kept the cloth as a proof of her purity before marriage
- In 2015, Rashid surprised Lulu with gifts on Live Nipashe News when Lulu had delivered their second born, this left Lulu in tears of joy
- Rashid also took Lulu on a deluxe private holiday where the duo spent three weeks of intimacy
- In 2010, Lulu was involved in a serious road crash while working at KTN, she managed to recover and her supportive aluminum metal was later removed
- The duo is taking a combined salary of more than 1 million shillings
ABDALLA INSTAGRAM ACCOUNT: https://www.instagram.com/rashidyabdalla/
Abdalla Twitter Account: https://twitter.com/RashidAbdalla