About The Adam Project Movie
In a dystopian 2050, combatant pilot Adam Reed (Ryan Reynolds) robs his time jet and flees through time on a rescue mission to 2018. Nevertheless, he accidentally crash-lands in 2022 rather where Adam meets his 12-year-old self who is struggling with the contemporary death of their dad Louis in a car accident. Adam reluctantly enlists his younger self’s help to repair his jet and reveals that he is looking for his wife, Laura, who was supposedly killed in a crash while on a mission in 2018.
Adam is being chased by Maya Sorian (Catherine Keener), the leader of the dystopian world, and her lieutenant Christos who attempt to apprehend Adam and take him back to 2050. The Adams are rescued by Laura (Zoe Saldana) who reveals that she had escaped an assassination attempt on her and was left stranded in the past. Laura had learned that Sorian had traveled back in time and altered the past to give herself control of time travel and the future.
Laura urges Adam to travel back to 2018 and destroy time travel, which was created by his father Louis (Mark Ruffalo), to set things right and save the future. Sorian attacks and Laura sacrifices herself so that the two Adams can escape. Chased by Sorian and with only enough power left for a one-time jump, Adam and his younger self jump back to 2018.
In 2018, the two Adams attempt to enlist Louis’ help, but he refuses out of concern for the scientific impact on the timestream. The younger Adam confronts his future self about his bitterness and anger and realizes that the source of it is his lingering pain over their father’s death. As the two launch an attack to destroy Louis’ particle accelerator, Louis changes his mind and joins the mission, having them instead retrieve the hard drive containing the only copy of his algorithm that enables time travel.
A battle erupts between Adams, Louis, Sorian, her younger self, Sorian’s soldiers, and Christos, resulting in the particle accelerator overloading. Sorian attempts to shoot Louis with an armor-piercing bullet. Still, the accelerator’s magnetic field instead diverts the round, causing it to kill the younger Sorian, erasing the future Sorian from existence as the Reeds flee.
With time travel destroyed and the future set right, Louis chooses not to learn of his fate (though it’s heavily implied that he figures it out) and instead enjoys a game of catch with both versions of his son before the Adams are returned to their times. In 2022, Adam lets go of his bitterness and anger and reconcile with his mother whom he has been distant with ever since Louis’ death. Years later, a much happier adult Adam meets Laura for the first time, mirroring their first meeting in the original timeline.
- Country: United States of America
- Genre: Science Fiction, Adventure, Comedy
- Production: Skydance Media, Maximum Effort, 21 Laps Entertainment
- Casts: Zoe Saldana, Ryan Reynolds, Mark Ruffalo, Jennifer Garner, Catherine Keener
- Ratings: 6.9/10 IMDB, 70% Rotten Tomatoes, 55% Metacritic
- Ryan Reynolds as Adam Reed, a time pilot in 2050 who risks his life to try and uncover the truth behind his wife’s disappearance
- Walker Scobell as young Adam Reed, a bullied 12-year-old in 2022 who suffers from asthma. Scobell also portrays his younger self in 2018 through de-aging.
- Mark Ruffalo as Louis Reed, Adam’s father and a brilliant quantum physicist who wrote the algorithm necessary for controlled time travel. Reed has died by 2022 and appears in 2018.
- Jennifer Garner as Ellie Reed, Adam’s mother. Garner also portrays her younger self in 2018.
- Catherine Keener as Maya Sorian, a businesswoman who funded Louis’ research and later took advantage of his death to monopolize it for her own benefit and create a future where she is the most powerful woman in the world. Keener also portrays her younger self through de-aging
- Zoe Saldaña as Laura, Adam’s wife, and a fellow time pilot left stranded in 2018 after a failed attempt on her life. Saldana also portrays her alternate version in the changed timeline.
- Alex Mallari Jr. as Christos, Adam and Laura’s former colleague, now a ruthless security enforcer employed by Sorian